|
click here to print or email

Protecting Yourself from Snake Bites

Taking precautions
 As July progresses, you may begin to see more snakes out and about. Or, you may begin to see more reports of snake bites on the internet. While a snake’s behavior is not totally predictable, it’s important to take precautions to protect yourself.

The first step is knowing what snakes reside in your area. While some snakes are non-venomous and basically harmless, there are many other snakes that are deadly and poisonous. The problem is that many dangerous and non-dangerous snakes look alike. For example, the rattle snake and the bull snake are very similar in looks and size. However, most snakes, especially toxic ones, have at least one sort of difference that distinguishes them from the rest. A rattlesnake’s most distinct feature is the rattle on the end of their tail, while a bull snake just has a completely normal tail-end.
If you are confused about what snakes inhabit your area, or how to tell the difference, please try contacting your local wildlife preserve. Not only will they help you identify with snakes are toxic and which are not, but they may also give you some good helpful tips.
The next tip is to stay out of tall grassy areas. Snakes rarely attack people walking in the sidewalk or in the street, but they are very probable to snap at an individual who walks in their territory. Plus, most snakes, especially rattle snakes, blend in well to their surroundings, so seeing a snake before it strikes is unlikely if you’re in the grass. However, if you do need to walk in the grass for some reason, please consider wearing snake-proof boots. Snakes can’t bite through leather, and these boots are generally really durable. But, depending on the brand, these shoes are pricey, so it’s a good idea to avoid the grassy areas all together.
And whatever you do, don’t ever play with a snake. A baby rattlesnake, while not as toxic as their adult counterpart, can still be very harmful to a human being.
 
 
If you are bit

Of course, we aren’t invincible. If something went wrong, and you were bit by a snake, please remember these simple pieces of advice.

1. INSPECT THE BITE! The first step is to get away from the snake, of course, but then inspect the bite if possible. If you feel as if you can’t do that, instead go to steps 2 and 3. If you can do that, remember this tip. When a snake bites you, they leave little dots on your arm, where their fangs punctured your skin. If they’re are four dots, the snake was not poisonous. However, if the fang marks has only two fang marks, it was a poisonous snake.
2. DON’T PANIC! If you are bit by a snake, especially a toxic one, the worst thing to do in that situation is to panic. If your body fills with adrenaline, the snake venom spreads in your body more quicker. Instead, take deep breaths and think logically. If you are not in an area with cell service or people, take relaxed, easy steps to a place where you can find some. Remember, the poison doesn’t spread as quickly as you may think, as long as you don’t go hysterical.
3. TAKE PROPER MEDICAL STEPS! If you are in an area with cell service or people, have someone call 911 or the closest hospital immediately. If possible, wash the bite with soap and water. Contrary to the popular belief, sucking the toxins out of the wound will not help. Snake fangs are curved, not straight, so the toxins will not be in expected areas. Also, do not apply a tourniquet. (A tourniquet is a bandage applied to a wound to stop the blood flow to that area). A tourniquet will only restrict blood flow, which will give the poison less area to spread. Toxins spreading will reduce tissue damage and dilute the toxins.