Have you ever thought about eating hot cocoa, mug and all? Dessert Designer: Creations You Can Make and Eat, by Dana Meachen Rau, will show you how!
Have you ever thought about eating hot cocoa, mug and all? Dessert Designer: Creations You Can Make and Eat, by Dana Meachen Rau, will show you how! This cookbook is chock full of the most creative, unique baking ideas you’ve ever seen! From ladybug oreos to a jewelry box formed entirely out of chocolate, you’ll find fabulous ideas to quench all your baking desires. The book’s age recommendation is 10+, but 10-year-olds definitely need an adult’s help. Many recipes require the use of an oven, or advanced baking or cake decorating skills.
One advantage is that many of the recipes start with a mix, or undecorated cookies, cupcakes, or cakes. But while each and every recipe is fun and interesting, many also use odd ingredients you wouldn’t normally keep around the house. Some ingredients, like rock candy, might even be challenging to find in your local stores. Also, some of the recipes require frosting skills that take patience and lots of practice.
Here is a sample recipe to try. You can eat the results or hang them as a decoration.
Ingredients: hard fruit candies (at least 10)
heavy duty plastic bag
star-shaped cookie cutter
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
• Unwrap candies according to color and place into the plastic bag
• With a hammer, crush the candy into very fine pieces
• Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
• Pour the crushed candies onto the cookie sheet, keeping colors separate
• Cook for three minutes or until candy is melted
• Take the tray out of the oven and cool for two minutes
• Press star shaped cookie cutters into the partially hardened candy
• Add a hole with a toothpick if you want to hang your stars
• Cool completely
The pictures in this book will make your mouth water. Grab an adult and get ready to create a masterpiece.